Pages

Tuesday 19 May 2009

Sewing, sewing, sewing

I may have forgotten (as I frequently do) to mention that I help run a toddler group in our village. It runs every Tuesday morning, so that's where we've been today. I put all the mini craft projects together for the kids and today we made little lambs with cotton wool. Alexandra was a bit disappointed she couldn't show her Daddy her creation because he's away for work at the moment, so she's going to share it here instead.


She absolutely loves making, drawing, sticking and anything else creative. She's desperate to try sewing, but she doesn't quite have the skills yet to manage it. We've both been card making as well because it's Grandma and Grandpa's (my Nan and Grandad's) 64th wedding anniversary today (yes, really, that long. They are both nearly 84 and going very strong). They only live a few doors away, so we already dropped in for a visit and we'll be going back for dinner later. *EDIT - Alex swears that her card is a picture of a bus. I can see where she's coming from, but I think it looks an awful lot like Tick Tock from Return to OZ!*

I actually get my love of sewing from my Nan. She was a dressmaker and let me fill her entire back room with crafty things every weekend as I was growing up. I made all sorts, like dolls clothes, dressing up outfits, dolls houses, papier mache things, cards, stuffed animals, jewelery, it was endless fun. I think it's that freedom I had to create that makes me think now "yeah, I can try that"! She also taught me how to knit, smock and crochet. Then when I got married, she made my wedding dress and helped me make the bridesmaid's dresses. My wedding dress is definitely something I shall keep forever. It would be nice to hear anyone else's stories about anything or anyone that particularly encouraged your crafting either when you were younger or now.


Furry costumes are coming along nicely and I've sent 6 into the school already (that should please Mr man). I have now completed the leopards, the giraffes, the lions and the monkeys. (We already had existing giraffe, lion and monkey heads though). I'm hoping to get either the tigers or zebras finished this week too while Rob's away. The little tiny fluffy bits off the fur fabric keep blowing across the laminate floor and making me think it's a spider! With no Rob here to save me, I'm a big wuss.


I've been playing around with tiny cross stitch too. No particular reason other than I wanted something to do sitting watching telly and give me a break from the mountains of fur! I wasn't sure what to do with them, but I think I'll turn them into cards and gift tags for those new arrivals on the way. What do you think? I have another idea for the little tea cup, but you'll have to wait and see.....

No comments:

Post a Comment